Engagement Rings: The Essential Guide
The Best Engagement Ring Resources
On The Internet
FROM DIAMOND GRADING TO YOUR IDEAL SETTING, USE THIS GUIDE TO FIND THE INFORMATION YOU NEED TO RESEARCH AND CHOOSE YOUR PERFECT ENGAGEMENT RING
If you’re looking for a beautiful engagement ring, then bookmark this page and use it as a reference as you explore the world of diamonds, gemstones and precious metals.
Whether you are researching your own dream engagement ring, or choosing one as a surprise for someone else, the sheer choice can be quite overwhelming. Not to mention a myriad of other concerns such as understanding how to purchase a vintage ring, engaging a designer for a custom engagement ring or ensuring that your diamond is conflict free…
I have taken the different elements of choosing an engagement ring and scoured the internet to find the very best information out there. You will find links to the most helpful and informative sources set out in the chapters below. Have fun exploring!
Getting To Grips With Diamond Grading
You have probably heard of the 4 C’s by now! Certified diamonds come with an independent grading report from a grading entity, such as the Gemological Institute of America. Diamond graders evaluate a diamond’s cut, clarity, colour and carat weight. An understanding of these 4 C’s is essential when choosing a diamond.
- Getting Started: An Overview of the 4 C’s
- The 4 C’s of Diamonds, & So Much More
- The Gemological Institute of America: 4 C’s Education
- GIA, AGS, EGL and Other Diamond Grading Certificate
Which Diamond Shape to Choose…?
When selecting a diamond, your first decision will likely be which diamond cut (or shape) to choose. Each shape has its own aesthetic and your choice will have a significant impact on the look of your engagement ring. The classic round brilliant shape is the most popular cut, but there are many other fancy cuts that you may wish to consider.
- Diamond Shape Tutorial – Video
- A Detailed Review of Diamond Shapes
- 10 Diamond Shapes That Fit You And Your Personality
- QUIZ: Which Diamond Shape Fits Your Personality
- How to Choose Your Most Flattering Diamond Shape
- Princess Cut Engagement Rings
The Different Setting Metals Explained
The very stongest fine-jewelry metals are used for engagement rings as they must stand up to a lifetime of wear. The metal you choose should compliment both the wearer’s skin-tone and the chosen gemstone(s). Platinum and various shades of gold are the most popular metals, but you could also look at others such as palladium or titanium. Recycled metal is an ethical option that is growing in popularity.
- Engagement Ring Metal Glossary
- Detailed Buyers Guide to Ring Metals
- Metal Misconceptions: What is My “Gold” Ring Made Out Of?
- White Gold vs. Platinum: What’s the Difference?
- Coming Up Roses: A Brief History of Rose Gold
- Paladium Engagement Rings
The Setting Style Defines The Ring
More than any other factor, the setting style that you choose will define the look of your engagement ring. Go for a setting that showcases your stone to its best advantage and that reflects your personality. The choices are endless, from timeless and elegant solitaire settings to elaborate styles with lots of detail and multiple stones.
- Top Ten Engagement Ring Settings
- The Complete Guide to Diamond Settings – PDF
- What You Need To Know About Settings For Engagement Rings
- Choosing an Engagement Ring Setting
- QUIZ: What’s Her Engagement Ring Style?
- QUIZ: What Type of Enagement Ring is Right For You?
Ethical Alternatives To Mined Diamonds
A growing number of women are opting for alternatives to mined diamonds for their engagment rings. Some are choosing coloured gemstones (see Chapter 6), while others are embracing lab-grown diamonds or simulants such as moissanite and cubic zirconia. These are ethical choices that bypass the murky world of diamond production and can result in a far less expensive ring.
- How Can I Avoid Buying A Conflict Diamond
- 10 Tips to Purchasing Green, Ethically Sourced Rings Online
- 5 Alternatives to Diamond Engagement Rings
- Simulants vs. Synthetics: A Concise Guide To Manmade Gemstones
- Would You Propose With A Lab-Grown Diamond?
- Everything You Need To Know About Synthetic And Simulant Diamonds
- Moissanite Engagement Ring Guide
- Cubic Zirconia vs. Diamond
Exploring Coloured Gemstones
Coloured gemstones create unique and eye-catching engagement rings and are currently very much in vogue. You can use them to compliment a diamond centre stone in a three-stone ring or halo setting. Or for an even more individual look, you can do away with diamonds altogether and let the coloured gemstone take centre stage in a simple solitaire ring.
- Alternatives to Diamond Engagement Rings
- 20 Diamond-Alternative Gemstones For Engagement Rings
- A Buyers Guide To Coloured Gemstone Engagement Ring
- Guide To Gemstones
- Learn About Sapphires
- Buying Guide For Emerald Engagement Rings
- Ruby Engagement Rings
Step By Step Custom Design Rings
Do you want a truly one-of-a-kind and meaningful ring? If so, you may wish to engage a fine-jewelry designer to help you build your own engagement ring. Bespoke engagement rings are a more expensive option, but they can be completely personalized. The articles below will help you understand the custom design process and equip you with lots of useful tips.
- Considering A Custom Design
- Custom Made Rings: How and Where To Design Your Own
- 5 Tips For Buying A Custom Engagement Ring
- The 16 Steps To Your Custom Jewelry Design
- How Jewelry Is Made: Custom Designed Ring – VIDEO
Choosing the Right Vintage Ring
Do you love objects with a rich history? Vintage engagement rings can be a unique, environmentally friendly and cost effective choice. There are antique rings to suit every style – think Victorian, Edwardian, Art Deco… A little background knowledge will ensure that you purchase a vintage ring that is not only beautiful, but also good quality and durable.
- Vintage Engagement Rings: A Buyer’s Guide
- The Ultimate Guide To Vintage Engagement Rings
- Your Guide To Antique Rings
- What To Know When Buying An Antique Engagement Ring
- Antique Engagement Rings
And If You Need Inspiration …
You now have a lot of facts under your belt and can shop for your engagement ring with confidence! But first of all you deserve a rest. So grab a cuppa, put your feet up, and spend some time browsing through these collections of truly amazing engagement rings. Enjoy!
- 30 Most Coveted Engagement Rings
- 20 Rings That Sparkle
- 15 Alternative Engagement Rings You Can Say Yes To
- 200 Gorgeous Engagement Rings To Obsess Over
- 65 Vintage Inspired Engagement Rings
- 5 Stunning Engagement Rings Under $1K
- 71 Engagement Rings With Colourful Stones
- 30 Engagement Rings With Coloured Stones